Clarksville Sex Crimes Lawyer
Defending Against Sex Crime Charges in Montgomery County
Sex crimes are among the most heavily prosecuted crimes in existence. Even a mere accusation of sexual assault can hurt a person’s reputation to the point where they have difficulty finding work, housing, or being seen in public. If you were arrested for a sex crime, it is important that you not speak to police and get the help of experienced Clarksville criminal defense attorneys immediately. At Goble & Yow Attorneys, PLLC, our team brings over 35 years of proven legal experience to each case we take, giving us the skills to help you build a compelling case in your favor.
What is Considered a Sex Crime in Tennessee?
In the state of Tennessee, a sex crime refers to a criminal offense that involves sexual misconduct or exploitation. Sex crimes encompass a range of illegal activities that often involve non-consensual or illegal sexual behavior. Some common examples of sex crimes recognized in Tennessee can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Aggravated Rape
- Statutory Rape
- Sexual Battery
What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Tennessee?
The penalties for sex crimes in Tennessee can include imprisonment, fines, probation, and mandatory registration as a sex offender. Examples of potential penalties associated with some sex crimes in the state can include:
- Rape: Rape is typically considered a Class B felony in Tennessee. The punishment for a Class B felony can include imprisonment for a minimum of eight years up to a maximum of 30 years, along with fines.
- Aggravated Rape: Aggravated rape is a more serious offense and is classified as a Class A felony. If convicted, the potential penalties include a prison sentence for a minimum of 15 years up to a maximum of 60 years, along with fines.
- Statutory Rape: Penalties for statutory rape in Tennessee will be dependent on the age difference between the parties involved and whether the defendant is over or under the age of 18. Statutory rape may range from a misdemeanor to a felony offense. Penalties may include imprisonment, fines, probation, and mandatory registration as a sex offender.
- Sexual Battery: Sexual battery is generally classified as a Class E felony in Tennessee. The potential penalties can include imprisonment for a minimum of one year up to a maximum of six years, along with fines.
It's important to mention that these penalties can vary depending on specific factors like the severity of the particular offense, whether there were aggravating circumstances, any prior convictions, and other considerations. Consulting with an experienced sex crimes attorney from Goble & Yow Attorneys, PLLC, should be your first priority.
How to Defend Against Sex Crime Charges
The penalties for sex crimes can be severe. In the worst cases, such as child rape, you could be sentenced to a minimum of 25 years without any petition for reduced sentencing for at least 15 years after that. Additionally, all sex offenders will be required to list themselves on the sex offender registry, making it next to impossible to live anywhere without scrutiny. You need to protect yourself if you hope to have any chance at a normal life following an accusation.
Some possible defenses against a conviction could include the following:
- Wrong person accused: With methods such as DNA testing, you may be able to prove that you were not the one who committed the crime against the victim.
- Psychological instability: While most accusations of sex crimes are grounded in truth, not all are. In cases where you are accused of something you know you didn’t do, requesting tests for the mental stability of the victim can help prove your innocence.
- Unlawfully obtained evidence: If police used illegal means to accuse you of a crime, the evidence could be deemed inadmissible and help to protect you from a conviction.
Contact Our Sex Crimes Attorney in Clarksville Today
There are many details to each case. Our Clarksville sex crimes attorneys come from many different backgrounds, giving us knowledge of many different legal strategies and precedents. With decades of experience available at our firm, Goble & Yow Attorneys, PLLC is the team you want on your side when your future is on the line. During our free consultation, we will go over what happened and give you a rough outline of what you can expect to occur. We stay in communication with our clients, so you will always have an idea of what is happening.
Contact Goble & Yow Attorneys, PLLC, today to get started on your defense with our Clarksville sex crimes lawyer.